What is a Structural Integrity Reserve Study?
A Structural Integrity Reserve Study (SIRS) is a newly developed form of reserve study, REQUIRED BY FL Statute, that are designed to ensure that condo and home owners associations are reserving funds for crucial structural elements in their buildings for repairs. What is so important to understand about SIRS is that the 10 elements that are identified in this study must be separately accounted for in the reserve study. Funds for repairs can only be used for that specific named purpose and are not able to be pooled.
10 Elements That Make Up SIRS
- Load Bearing Walls
- Fireproofing & Fire Safety
- Exterior Painting & Water Proofing
- Electrical Systems
- Other elements over $10,000 that have an impact on the structural integrity of the building
Do I Need a Reserve Study & SIRS?
Condos (FL Statute 718) and Co-ops (FL Statute 719) over 3 stories must comply with the new standard laid out in the condo safety bill, signed into effect by Governor Ron DeSantis on May 26, 2022, by December 31, 2024 in order to remain in compliance.
These studies will be required to be completed every 10 years in order to remain in compliance. This time clock is measure from the first certificate of occupancy.
Annual budgets must have reserves accounted for.
Currently there is no requirement for time shares or buildings under 2 stories to comply with these reserve study requirements.
How do I stay fully funded and in compliance?
In order to stay fully funded the funding schedule laid out in the reserve study must be followed and the appropriated funds must be accounted for. This does not mean that the entire projected funds laid out in the reserve study must be accounted for every year.
Fully Funded = Meeting Reserve Funding Schedule
January 1, 2023– Condo Associations and Co-ops must submit the number of 3 story buildings on their property over 3 stories in writing. This must also include the following: the total number of units in each building on the property, the address of each building, and the county in which each building is located.
December 31, 2024– Reserve Studies and SIRS must be submitted in order to remain in compliance (if a SIRS has not already been conducted and submitted).
Careful attention from officers’ and engineers in a Structural Integrity Reserve Study (SIRS) will ensure that fiduciary duty in met.
These deadlines apply to post-turnover condo properties with certificates of occupancy prior to 1992. Pre-turnover properties will be required to conduct milestone inspections prior to turnover
James Coil, PE, Mechanical Engineer | Luis Pappaterra, PE, Structural Engineer
John Minor, CGC, Certified General Contractor | James “JB” Burnes, CAM, Community Association Manager
- Structural and Mechanical Engineers with experience in the design, construction, maintenance of all major building systems including and beyond the SIRS requirements.
- General Contractor with experience in Multi-unit residential buildings
- Experience with capital budget planning and finances.
- Brings the latest in 3D and inspection technology including Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) & Drones, thermal imaging, water detection, and pipe inspection.
- Experts in roofs of all types, stucco, windows and doors, HVAC, plumbing and other major systems.
- Expertise in building damage assessment
Our Complete Team of licensed professionals are here to move your Structural Integrity Reserve Study (SIRS) forward
Condo Safety Act
*Senate Bill 4D signed into law in May 2022*
Complete also is fully licensed to conduct your required structural recertification inspections CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE